AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crops, drill vs. broadcast with fertilizer spreader
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KFLAgri
Posted 7/25/2024 21:45 (#10826410 - in reply to #10825639)
Subject: RE: Cover crops, drill vs. broadcast with fertilizer spreader

I've been having rye blended with my map and potash and spreading with a Willmar pulltype spreader. Usually 50lbs of rye/acre. Sometimes looks a little streaky in the early spring but by planting it's a nice crop. Have done it early November and last year even did 200 acres in December with snow on the ground and had a huge crop this spring by bean planting.

Last year I had oats, radish and sunflowers in wheat stubble. Drilled 15 acres but the oat straw was plugging my 750 Deere notill drill so spread the rest with the Willmar but doubled back and spread every 20'. Drug the land roller across after but still was spotty/mostly nothing whereas what I notilled in with the drill was a good crop. Plenty of rain last summer/fall so if it would work being broadcast it should have grown last year out of any. Have always notilled it in before but with the straw I decided to spread the rest and called it a stand test plot.

This year I'll be notilling in my oats/radish in the wheat stubble but I'll continue to broadcast my rye with the P and K in the fall.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)