AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combine Access and Utility Poles
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/4/2024 06:32 (#10797705 - in reply to #10797334)
Subject: RE: Combine Access and Utility Poles

Chebanse, IL.....

We have somewhat the same problem on a field. There are electric power poles along the road and field access points (2 of them...kind of). The power lines are at a height of not being a problem. However, there is some type of cable tv wire hanging under it. Seems the power company has a requirement that such cables be no closer than 24" or so to the electric wires. So, the cable tv thing hangs down, drooping a lot between the poles due to the size of the rubber covered cable itself. We can't get any tractors or equipment under it, but a semi tractor can just barely squeeze under it, though the tips of the exhaust stacks may brush it.

The access culvert to the field in the center (160A field) ironically sits on a hill being the highest point of the road side of the farm. Great for drainage, it's always dry there. However, that's also where the cable hangs lowest, especially in the heat of summer. We  have to access the field at a corner where the wires are highest.

Yes, some have suggested an "accidental cable snag" might be in order. But as I closely examined the cable, I note that could be an expensive deal. The black cable itself is meshed with a common wire-rope type cable to hold it up. Probably 3/4" diameter. Kind of like triplex wiring, only the wire rope cable is larger than triplex wiring. I think there would a lot of machine damage if you snagged it. 

Funny thing is, no one knows what the cable is for. Have never seen a maintenance crew or truck for it. Contact power company some suggest? Come on....have you ever heard of Commonwealth Edison? Might as well try to call Putin on the phone. Should be simple solution? I will gladly  pay someone for their time & trouble if they solve it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)