AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me about used 4-wheelers....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 2/16/2010 08:30 (#1077401 - in reply to #1077182)
Subject: RE: Educate me about used 4-wheelers....

I can think of one very good reason and probably several more to have a manual shift...
If you ever had to do any low speed manuvering or descending a steep hill you'd be awful glad to have the ability to coast down with the manual transmission. The CVT, or at least the CanAm CVT is... well... CONTINOUSLY adjusting itself in a herky jerky manner unless it's under full power. In some situations it's just dangerous. Combine that with the fact that the engine has to run at half throttle to do just about anything. It makes for a very inefficient bike. It's great to pick up speed fast, especially if you're too lazy to shift but that's probably it's only virtue.
We've got an Outlander 400XT..... and in all honestly, it takes as much room to manuver as a lot of tandem trucks and burns as much gas as my Ford Ranger... and at least the bloody Ranger will start and go every day. This miserable piece of crap is frozen up half the time, most often when you need it most.
If you need a simple reliable bike every day, an old Honda or Yamaha is the ticket. 250-400 CC. Not too big. Light enough to toss around. RIGID rear axle so you CAN throw/spin it around... and a plain, simple reliable 5 speed transmission.
I'd need another page to list all the things that have been repaired in 3000 miles on this Outlander... and none of them were hard miles unlike ALL of the miles on the older Honda and Yamaha's we had...

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)