AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me about used 4-wheelers....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

nw_bearcat
Posted 2/15/2010 21:25 (#1076864 - in reply to #1076759)
Subject: RE: Educate me about used 4-wheelers....

Top middle of MO. land of green hills and grass
We've had at least one Polaris machine on our place since '95, and have been pretty happy with them. In your shoes today, I'd be looking for one of them. I have a 2001 Polaris Magnum 324 4x4, I bought it used from a friend. It replaced a 2001 same model, but 2x4, and the only reason I moved was to get the 4x4. On a farm, I'd not hesitate to spend the money for the 4x4, we had one once, and while it beat walking, there was alot it just wouldn't do. My FIL has a 2002 Magnum 325 4x4, and my Dad has 2 Polaris Sportsman 500s and a 500 6x6. The thing I see different, is the Sportsman machines ride alot nicer and have ALOT more get than my 325, but use more gas. For light chores, checking cows, riding fence the smaller machine does fine. Where the bigger motor is nice is when you're pulling a trailer w/ 500# of cow feed through knee deep mud/snow, etc. The bigger machines also don't seem to start quite as well when below 20*, but that could just be the tuning of the machines he has. Polaris had some issues early on with their chain drive's but the Magnums and Sportmans are shaft/gear drive with the variable trans, which is great for cow work.

i'd look on craigslist and see what's out there for you, but also consider what dealer support you have around, eventually you'll need filters, parts or repair work, and you can't afford to drive across the state for that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)