AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is a VT tool what I need?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Herbie56
Posted 5/16/2024 20:30 (#10742154 - in reply to #10741927)
Subject: RE: Is a VT tool what I need?

Coles County, Illinois
I farm right on the terminal moraine of the Wisconsin Glacial Age and there's a vast difference between here and just a few miles south. Soils south of here sometimes can benefit from early disking in order to increase the surface area and release moisture. North of here and 95% of what I farm wet disking causes unrecoverable compaction. An ECIL description doesn't tell me which you farm.

The only advice I can give you is to consider what the environment is where you plant the seed. I find too many people think that a finely granulated surface is needed for planting. Actually you only need finely granulated soil around the seed. A courser trashy soil surface actually helps prevent crusting. When you're less concerned with crusting you can plant deeper and be more assured that you have enough moisture to germinate seeds.

What I see around here is the first years one has a VT tool (Case 330 and Landoll 74XX mainly) they try to use them for everything. After that you only see them used in the fall.

Edited by Herbie56 5/16/2024 23:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)