AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mother's Day trip in the EV
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/13/2024 10:11 (#10738509 - in reply to #10738393)
Subject: GM, Bolt EUV and Tesla EVs

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Ed Boysun - 5/13/2024 07:46

If you were lucky enough to find a dealer that had the vehicle and was willing to sell it for MSRP, it was and is a bargain. I had heard that GM lost a substantial sum on every Bolt that they sold but I think, if they had stayed the course, the tooling and development costs would have been amortized over more vehicles and it would have eventually turned a profit. GM's leadership is all over the map on what their strategy is or will be, Kind of a shame.
Looks like you had a nice outing with some nice scenery.

I don't buy that argument that they lost money on each Bolt sold. 

In the summer of 2022 we were thinking about buying an EV and saw a news article that GM had just dropped the price from what had been about a $35,000 MSRP. After reading that, I stopped in at our local Chevy dealership and asked a salesman if that was true. He said yes, they had solved a battery problem with LG and had lowered the base model price to the 28,000 area.

This was August, I said to order a very base model in white. It came into the dealership in early October. This is when there were all sorts of chip shortages, power seat shortages etc so I said just order a base model, no driver assist etc and it came in quickly.

At about the time we picked up our Bolt EUV in October 2022, GM announced sales demand had increased and they had increased scheduled production for 2023 by an additional 70,000 Bolts.

Now GM may not be entirely logical, but I don't think if you are losing money on each vehicle, demand is up on a new model (the EUV) as people discover it is a good vehicle, that you suddenly schedule 70,000 more!!!

I think what happened is that dealers started to realize the effects a pure EV has on the service department and suddenly GM and others have reduced their push on pure EVs and switched to promoting Hybrids  which still need an oil change every 3-5,000 mi, have exhaust systems, need brakes more often than an EV and are generally less disruptive to the status quo.

Hybrids have tiny batteries and the worst of both worlds. Most of the parts of a gas car as well as most of the parts of an EV. They may work for some apartment dwellers but why not just buy a cheaper, simpler, straight gas engine car?

Another factor in GM's decision is margin. There is just a lot more margin in selling $70,000 gas pickup trucks to people who mostly use them to get groceries and as a male status symbol.

With our government keeping low cost Chinese EVs out of the USA for the time being, the auto manufacturers seem to be operating on a "why not just keep on with business as usual" model. If Someone wants an EV, sell them a $100,000 EV truck. Meanwhile pay lobbyists etc to spread all sorts of gibberish like "EVs go through tires in 7,000 mi" .

And then there is Tesla, a company in a prime position to produce a $25-30,000 next generation EV in volume in the USA. Unfortunately the company  is run at the whims of a madman who runs around making secret deals with the Chinese and laying off his entire charging network staff while trying to "cash out" of Tesla with some absurd $50 billion paycheck agreement....

IMHO Tesla is essentially dead unless it is transformed and run by a team that actually loves cars instead of spending time figuring out ways to manipulate social media (Twitter) where the CEO wasted billions.  I'll stop there on Tesla.

EVs are coming. Once you drive one you will see why. This current situation is very reminiscent of the buggy whip manufacturers fighting the change from horses to Model T's.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)