AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Skip a grade in school?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mark F
Posted 5/12/2024 15:10 (#10737814 - in reply to #10735850)
Subject: RE: Skip a grade in school?

My daughter skipped first grade. +-15 kids in the class She spent a week or two in first grade before the school called and offered to move her up. She was far enough ahead that they said any academic growth she made that year would be because of what we gave her at home, not from what she would gain at school. I was opposed to the idea at first. The school used an accelerated reading program where the kids moved between grades to match their reading ability. I told my wife I wished they could do something similar for math and science, etc., then I realized that is what would effectively happen for her if we moved her up. She was mid range age for her grade and was/is emotionally mature enough to transition. She's now in 7th, taking advanced courses online and still top of her class. Of course junior high athletics showcases the vastly different physical maturity of that age group, and she often appears as a 'little girl' playing against what are practically grown women in 8th grade.

Long story short, she needed the challenge, some kids don't, only you can decide. In our situation, they said if it didn't work after a trial, we could let her go back to her original grade. Like the others said, I wouldn't dream of doing it because the teacher can't handle the load. That will just move the burden from the teacher to your child.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)