AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting progress
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Deltamudd
Posted 5/12/2024 11:40 (#10737685 - in reply to #10737660)
Subject: RE: Planting progress

I would think they ran long hours. I’ve done close to 250 before running pretty late into night. Well past midnight. They are planting twice as fast me. The math checks out. So two going double my best day. 500 acres a day with two speedy boys makes 1000. For two days is 2000. And the slow poke doing 250 for two days puts it at around. 2500 acres. And they have people pulling seed trailers around keeping everyone filled and dieseled up so the planter operator never has to leave his seat or pull out of a field unfinished. I know that slows me down when I’m planting. But I’m a small farmer and can manage without the added labor costs

Rains happen here every year and it is a take your chances when you have them and don’t stop until something gives or breaks kinda mentality at planting. I think maybe that’s what’s driving some of these much larger operations to buy the speedsters.

Something I’ve noticed with rains is that once temps hit that 80+ daytime and 60+ night time even getting a couple inches of rain on this flat, but well drained, delta soil, it doesn’t take long for things to dry out. But then you look on up forecast and see more rain coming. At least here, for the most part, when it heats up, it dries out faster than people think. People say oh I won’t be in the field for 10 days and like 3 days later they are rolling.

I think people just get used to rainy weather in early spring temps actually taking two weeks to dry

And idk why I ranted about rain. You didn’t even ask lol
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)