AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The difference in the way oats cook
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chris
Posted 5/12/2024 05:10 (#10737327 - in reply to #10736847)
Subject: RE: The difference in the way oats cook

East central Iowa

thinkstoomuch - 5/11/2024 12:40
Chris - 5/11/2024 11:04

Second, when I was feeding hogs I'd take a flare box wagon full of oats to town where they would hull and roll the oats.  They looked like oatmeal.  Found you could cook them and they were oatmeal!  However they never were like Quaker oats.

How common was a local mill to have an oats dehuller? Was the hulled oats used for pig starter feed or finishing? Were the hulls used for bedding or something else?

I haven't any idea if having such a mill was common. It might have been, our town was around 3000 population and there weren't any nearby towns of that particular size, much bigger or much smaller.

The oats that we had hulled & rolled was used for pigs we were feeding for market.  I have no recollection of the hulls being used or even spoken about.   All of this was in the late 50's and early 60's.  Long since I've heard of anybody doing anything with oats.  In our area it's all corn & soybeans, the hog productions is in 2 to 3 thousand confinements and feed is brought to the location by semi's.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)