AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Assistants or secretaries
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/11/2024 10:02 (#10736712 - in reply to #10736624)
Subject: RE: Assistants or secretaries

Pittsburg, Kansas

We had a young woman (now an old woman) who was a trained accountant that worked full time for probably 30 years. She took care of the book work, wages, precision farming records and going over them with me or the farm manager (variable rate prescriptions and such), then when needed pulled anhydrous tanks or run for parts (although that was my daughters main job so later on only did those things in peak need times). She would do about anything we ask of her.

She got pretty much the same pay as our daily manager. Top of our pay scale and shared in profitability incentives.

Although she has a full time job elsewhere since wife and I retired she still stops by the office and works a couple hours a week to pay bills and take care of book keeping, meeting with tax manager, etc. She has done as much for wife and I to be able to live the life we live as anyone else that has ever worked for us. Thanks to her and our daily manager wife and I semi-retired at 55 and started traveling more. Now full retirement starting at 65. She stops by and picks up our mail while we are traveling. Almost like part of our family.

Hiring the right people can drastically change a managers life for the better. Hiring the wrong ones.................well not so good. Been there done that a few times too. Fortunately not on the accounting end.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)