AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Extending auto warranty
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dondozer
Posted 5/10/2024 08:05 (#10735382 - in reply to #10734559)
Subject: RE: Extending auto warranty

NW Ohio,near Findlay
Read most of the replies, I had one long time ago, was totally worthless. It was a after market company, not a factory warranty. Oh where to start, was on a Honda Van, basically a Accord 4 cylinder motor with 80,000 miles, quote those motors go forever, but things can go wrong.
From day one is used oil, got to the point quart every tank of gas, wasn't leaking it, burning it, and no smoke, yes strange. Had to go to certified Honda Dealer so the paperwork said. Local Honda dealer never heard of them, went to local used car lot where I purchased it, said he would take care of it, never did.
Where they get you is worn parts are not covered, end of discussion. You have to tear it down first to prove it is not worn. Now if it breaks, they might cover it. I fell for that trap, Honda Dealer pulled head off it, exhaust valve is shot, part of it gone from using oil. Nobody could explain what happened, only thing possible was the valve guide was shot, and leaking down the stem. To go further was a waste of time, no way was going to pull piston.
Just thought of the warranty Company, Penn Warranty agreed to new valve and put it together. Had to get EXACT quote, no a penny more, service manager agree to send them quote. Honda Dealer screwed me, never sent the quote back, Penn would not even do anything, nothing, not a dime, since they didn't receive paperwork.
I had no choice, Honda Dealer wouldn't give me car back, Used Car lot said not there problem, thousand bucks gone. Paid the bill with cash, Honda Dealer didn't trust me, I was so ticked from the first day they pulled the head. I wanted to watch them pull the head, being a somewhat mechanic myself, see what could possible be bad in motor. The Honda mechanic never even bothered to drain the block, just air wrenched the head off, all the water went in the oil pan, ticked me off. Why bother he said, going to drain oil later anyway. I charged up to service manager, told them that's not the way to pull head off, kicked me out of shop, I don't tell them how to do work.
Drove car home, with new exhaust valve run OK, but burned oil even more. I liked the van, will just drive it , couldn't sell it, didn't want to lie to anybody. Looked around, found a used, low mileage motor, had to be from a Odyssey, computer was told. Of all things, the junk yard was the best experience of all, had pictures of the wrecked van, was hit in the rear by a train, motor was perfect. Parked new motor in shop, will deal with it in winter, old motor still running, I'm dumping used oil in it. Finally it burnt valve off again.
Pulled old motor out the top, not bad at all, installed new motor, everything
went OK, little trouble getting those wiring harness off the clips that hold them in place. That new motor was perfect, run almost 200,000 miles, until body rusted out.
Long story, but don't buy the extended warrantees. You have to prove it's not worn, used car parts are worn, and they know that. In my case, I wanted to buy a used motor, but they would not do it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)