AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Type of chicken question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 5/8/2024 12:11 (#10733217 - in reply to #10733185)
Subject: RE: Type of chicken question.

North of London
Sunday evening meal when I was a kid was roast chicken with potatoes and usually carrots cooked in the same big roasting pan and of course dressing and gravy.

That was my mother's cooking.

Our kids had chicken too most Sundays but we did not put potatoes and vegetable in the same pan very often.

Then chicken sandwiches for most of the week for lunch

They were big birds

Not sure when the chicks came but they were picked up at the train station and brought home to a 'colony house' where as you said the effort was to keep them warm
enough. My first memories are a small cast iron stove with a metal hood around it to keep the heat down at chick level.
I think on some cold nights father spent most of the night feeding the fire and setting the damper to keep it warm enough but not too hot.

Then modern technology took over with a brooder that had 4 heat bulbs in it under the metal hood.
It had a disk shaped switch that controlled how many bulbs were turned on to keep the heat at the correct temperature

The old 'colony House' then had to be positioned close enough to a building to have an extension cord run out to it usually suspended on a stick nailed to fence posts to keep it up safe.
I am sure it was not approved electrical installation

Then there was cardboard tacked up in the corners and for starters in a circle closer to the heat to keep the chicks from crowding and smothering one another.

Guess this were more of the good old days.

Edited by OntarioCanuck 5/8/2024 12:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)