AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tesla sacks charging team?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IHC 1470
Posted 5/3/2024 11:11 (#10727270 - in reply to #10727018)
Subject: RE: Tesla sacks charging team?

Idaho

Ed Boysun - 5/3/2024 05:49 However; speaking of city dwellers and superchargers for their EVs, I think a bank of superchargers for city dwellers is not the best solution either. The real beauty of owning an EV for a daily driver lies in the ability to leave it un-attended and wake in the morning, with the "tank" topped off enough to get through the day and plug in again at night or when the car has off time. But again, that has challenges too and I don't really have any solutions for that. Taxi and Uber drivers need superchargers but for the average commuter with a car, a $40K charging stall is overkill and unhandy.

The real beauty of owning an EV for a daily driver lies in the ability to leave it un-attended and wake in the morning, with the "tank" topped off enough to get through the day and plug in again at night or when the car has off time.

Yet as you point out that will probably not work for the average city dweller. The one application where an EV does make some sense to me yet charging becomes an issue.

Don't know about you but time does have value to me. You have mentioned many times how you take food/rest breaks while traveling so charging time is not a big issue for you. How about these commuters? When I commuted years ago I had to fill at least every third day. The only thing I was interested in is how fast can I get back on the road as I would have a hour plus drive ahead of me. It would appear average charging time to get to 80% in most EV's is 30 minutes. That adds up to several hours a month standing around waiting to recharge when I could be on the road getting home to loved ones. Hours turn into days when you move out into time. 

I have to pay a premium to be able to lose this time that I will never be able to make up? And the governments of the world say we need to do this. This makes sense to you Ed? 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)