AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me how u would handel this one? Lost farm at last minute.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 5/3/2024 08:51 (#10727103 - in reply to #10726536)
Subject: RE: Tell me how u would handel this one? Lost farm at last minute.

East of Broken Bow
Tnfarmer - 5/2/2024 18:58

Have/had a 82 acre piece of ground rented last year with a verbal agreement only(my mistake). So I heard nothing different going into this year till today. Was about to go spray burndown on farm for beans and rode down there to open gate. When I got close I saw a spreader truck out there putting fertilize down. I had already fertilized this place 2 months ago. Tried to call owner of land and no answer. Text him and he told me that some of his family wanted to try to farm it and that he sent me a text in February about it(lie). I got no text, had no idea. Ive already bought chemical that can't be returned plus the fertilize. He did say to let him know what fertilize cost, so we'll see how that goes. In any event, in my opinion that's a piss poor way to conduct business. What do you think?

Had something like that happen to us maybe 10-12 years ago. Had a pasture rented, and when we went out to check the tanks and stuff a week or so before hauling cows there, found out we didn't get to rent it, it went to someone else. Could have made a big stink about it, but the owner lived nearby so just chalked it up as a lesson learned. The ironic part is we had a handwritten lease from the year before that had the number of pair, price per pair, as well as turn in/turn out dates, and on the bottom of the lease, written in their handwriting was a note that barring a drought the conditions would be the same for the next year (which was the year we were kicked out). Anyway, did all we could to remain friends, and by the end of the year she was fed up with the guy that had cows there, said you couldn't trust what he said (and it turns out that he told the owner - an older widow that we didn't want it and said he should have it instead of us). Well, about 3-4 years later it came up for sale, and we got first choice to buy it since she said we treated her fair. It was a good fit as it was just across the road from pasture we already had. Chances are, if we made a big stink over that issue, someone else would own it now.
So, just something to think about, don't allow yourself to be a doormat, but be as nice about it as you can, you never know what the future holds.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)