AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Row Cleaners and Yield Difference?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

KRM
Posted 4/17/2024 13:47 (#10710216 - in reply to #10710005)
Subject: RE: Row Cleaners and Yield Difference?

NC Kansas
I'm not sure you get a guaranteed yield bump from row cleaners but they can help in a lot of ways. I went away from them for years running case planters. I was and still am a believer in the leading disk, if properly maintained can get the job done. However I have run into issues where I've really needed them to move some fluffy wheat stubble chaff out of the way for plugging reasons. Then we've started and will continue to do some corn on corn, and I can see where they are almost necessary in our rolling ground (It's sometime difficult to perfectly split the old rows 100% of the time). And when I decided to go back to row cleaners I knew they HAD to be floating/parallel linkage style cleaners and that I really WANTED them to be equipped with clean sweep.
I wanted to A. be able to run in all residue conditions, B. adjust them as needed from field to field, our fields often aren't huge so I may change fields 3 times in a day and go from wheat stubble, to bean stubble to cover crop residue in and 8 hour day. And I'm lazy and know I wouldn't want to get out and manually adjust them every time.

So does all that translate to Yield? yes in some cases. In my scenario I'm also saving time by being able to run when I want, not when the reside is perfectly dry. And saving time making adjustments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)