AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting electric
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 4/17/2024 09:29 (#10709901 - in reply to #10709623)
Subject: RE: Getting electric

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

muddycreek - 4/17/2024 05:40 Haven’t really lived unless you’re old enough to remember getting electric, indoor plumbing and the first black and white tv. Grandma lived a long ways from town as they say around here. My kids think it stinks if the high speed internet goes out. She claimed the party line telephone was a bigger deal than electric.

I'm old enough to remember two of those three........I was about 5 when Dad bought a TV without consulting Mom. That was an interesting day. ;^)  It turned out to be a good thing, as I was bedridden for several weeks shortly after that, and Mom admitted it'd been tougher without the TV to keep me entertained.  I was just past 11 when the folks converted a small bedroom upstairs into a bathroom. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven......no more treks down the dirt path to the outhouse.  The room was on the NW corner of the house, and it was really tough to keep the pipes from freezing in the winter. I can see the lavatory cabinet door open with an electric heater pointed in there yet.  Mom was away at school in 1946 when Grandpa and Grandma got electricity. They got their indoor plumbing and bathroom the same year we did....1961 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)