AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time to Beat a Dead Horse
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mav
Posted 4/7/2024 10:56 (#10697422 - in reply to #10697270)
Subject: RE: Time to Beat a Dead Horse

moved 3 feet to the left

That can be allowed and does not automatically denote a foul as long as she gets set at an allowed distance. Edwards does appear to be set from the video's side/slowed down perspective, but the allowed distance side of the argument has much debate. First off, part of the allowed distance is determined by the status of the defender getting screened. If the defender is stationary, the screener has the right to move right next to the defender as long as they are in their field of view ... setting up to the side of the defender meets those criteria. Did the Iowa girl's change of direction briefly take on the status of being stationary? If the defender is deemed moving, then it gets subjective as to the reasonable amount of distance that needs to be provided in order for the defender to avoid the screen. I feel the Iowa girl saw the screen and tried to push through it (a foul on the defense by the way) and the physics were just not in her favor.

stuck her elbow out

Again, that is allowed if performed in a manner to brace for imminent contact. Slowed down, the UConn girl's arm only appears to "come out" at the time of contact between the two players, but it cannot be performed in a manner that delivers a blow to the defender. My opinion, this is the one that carries the most controversy due to inherent nature about it. There is quite a substantial size difference between the players and that in of itself can be extremely deceiving. The initial contact in the chest area of Edwards suggests a legal screen but the "bounce off" of the Iowa girl suggests that it administered a blow. I think the initial movement of Edward's arm at the moment of contact is in the direction of Iowa's girl defensive movement which would suggest a legal screen. It's tough one no to decide on no doubt. There is just a whole lot of inertia at work there.

Didnt attend the national anthem

That was LSU, not UConn.

So, in the end of all of that, I just do not see how anyone can dismiss the subjectiveness of that call when all the fine points of it are broken down in detail. Again, I am not arguing whether the call is a foul or not, I am just trying to point out the grayness of it. Making a black or white decision on a very gray matter in the final seconds of the game carries too much influence on its outcome. But of course, the only opinion that truly matters on the subject, is the one given by the person holding the whistle at the time of the call. Doesn't mean we can't talk about it though.

Mav

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)