AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steer control for Protrakker type steering hitches?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 4/3/2024 20:19 (#10692747 - in reply to #10692719)
Subject: RE: Steer control for Protrakker type steering hitches?

East Central, Nebraska
i am not a professional on this topic but may have a couple suggestions. so i have owned one protrakker hitch before and it had a box on it that would compensate for the terrain, the downside is it had absolutely no idea if the trailing implement was actually where it was supposed to be but more just get it closer to where it needed to be.

as for gps options you have to choose between either a passive implement guidance or an active implement guidance. the biggest difference between the two is a whole bunch of money. passive implement guidance is when a second gps is added to the equipment and communicates with the tractor guidance monitor to actually move the tractor off the correct line to pull the implement over to center. obviously this would not be helpful if you were needing to keep the tractor also on the guidance line but does do a very good job at putting the implement where it is needed. the downside to this is it requires 2 high accuracy gps receivers, so not only do you spend the big money on one rtk gps but now you need one on the planter also. i am unaware of all the companies that offer this, i am most familiar with ag leader and i do know they do not offer it in house but can work with a third party company that no dealer i have ever talked to in the US knows anything about. I do know that trimble offers this and it is called trueguide. i have truguide on my farm. also deere has a solution for this that somehow is actually fairly reasonably priced compared to competitors.

second option would be active implement guidance, this is where you spend the big bucks. this not only requires the second high accuracy unlocked gps but also all the steering hardware to make it happen. it is basically like equipping a second tractor with full hydraulic steering from scratch. we are talking gps, steering controllers, hydraulic steering valves, and the steering hardware on the implement. i once again know that trimble offers this as i have a display unlocked for it but am not a big enough deal to justify it. i assume other companies offer this but i am not aware of any.

in your situation i am unsure what your options are with the protrakker, i assume it would be more like a active guidance situation but am unsure. i am aware of people automatically steering with the hitch but am unsure what steps they needed to get there. i do know in my situation, passive implement guidance made more sense to me than using that hitch so i sold it but your situation may differ. hope this helps a little.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)