AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Explain a cat motor to me like am a nine year old
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mitchco
Posted 2/29/2024 17:43 (#10645766 - in reply to #10645629)
Subject: RE: Explain a cat motor to me like am a nine year old

SW OH
I should have recognized the "Perkapillaroit". The 3116 was used in 1055B pavers. Back in 2000 my counterpart and I spent 2 months of winter repairs on one. This included adjusting the valves and injectors. Our shop owns the tool set. I went through the adjustment procedure 3 times and it still didn't run right. The boss at the time 10 years younger than me at 24, who had 40 years experience tells me he'll have the dealer come show me what I was doing wrong.

After the seasoned dealer mechanic and I go through it a 4th time he says I had it as close as it could be. While we worked on it the dealer mechanic told me the 3116 was mixed marriage of Perkins, Caterpillar, and Detroit Diesel, hence perkapillaroit. It still didn't run right. As we stood there scratching our heads the former shop superintendent walked up and asked what's up. We gave him the low down to which he tells us, oh, this is evermans paver, it's got a special fuel system for pushing the pick up machine.

So an hour later he gives us a very different set of measurements for setting the injectors. According to the former superintendent when this paver was new it was a constant complaint of low power. Caterpillar engine engineering comes from California. He called California and got us the correct settings. Apparently when more power was needed the engine department came up with a different fuel pump and settings for this paver. With the new settings it ran strong. I would not want to own 1 of these engines.

Mitchco
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)