AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Explain a cat motor to me like am a nine year old
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4WD
Posted 2/29/2024 15:55 (#10645629 - in reply to #10645473)
Subject: RE: Explain a cat motor to me like am a nine year old

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

You have a CAT 3116 mechanical diesel engine= more common design (Not a HEUI engine= "Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injector" 3116 design = more rare= much fewer number of those built)

That is one of the more confusing "top end" of any cat engine fuel designs. Good luck finding enough info AND ALL the specialized Tooling to set/adjust everything on a Mechanical 3116 engine. 

You could try and type in "CAT 3116 diesel engine" on You-tube and watch some videos.

Note: I've driven to one of our competitive Truck engine shops, and trained one of their mechanics, on just the adjustments and copper sleeve removal/installations ,and when done; their foreman asked about ALL the tooling , just for that 3116 mechanical engine. I gave him estimated Dollar amounts on ALL the boxes of specialized tooling I had opened and used that day, and their foreman said they will never buy all that tooling = they would just call me (my CAT dealership) to drive down a perform any repairs/adjustments on a CAT 3116 engine, if/when they have one or two to be worked on. (he said they would never work on enough of these 3116 engines, to even begin to pay for all the specialized tooling.) Training their mechanic was a waste of time, basically.

I also trained one of our own CAT Heavy Equipment mechanics, on a Saturday, so he could train the rest of his crew, on replacing copper sleeves and reaming = they had such poor failure rates, early on; those heavy Equipment mechanics were completely changing entire cylinder heads (with new coppers already installed) verses trying to replace them with cylinder head still ON the engine, in chassis.
Now, I was using the newest design , of CAT tooling, during this timeframe, and it was much easier to do a "good job" verses the original tooling, that CAT offered during the initial release, of that CAT 3116 mechanical engine. Heavy Equipment mechanic says it was much easier and quicker than pulling a cylinder head, and he did a nice job, with the latest and greatest CAT service tools, for the 3116 engine. = He wrote down part numbers, so his Heavy equipment service Dept, could order those specialized tool groups/kits, using latest designs. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)