AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a grain bin setup from scratch...please advise
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 2/22/2024 12:50 (#10635112 - in reply to #10626146)
Subject: RE: Starting a grain bin setup from scratch...please advise

NW KS/ SC ID
I dont have any bins myself, as im just a little guy, but working for others, a leg is sure nice, so is a large pit. if you have a large pit, the leg doesnt have to be huge. Nothing like being able to dump and drive off while the leg munches away. Id try hard to avoid swing hoppers and augers if possible. the few times ive had to mess with them I thought it was like pissing in the wind, and a big waste of time compared to the leg. again, im not the check writer in that situation, so its easy for me to scoff at augers. But if attempting to "do it once, do it right" id definitely find a way to prioritize a leg and a big pit over alot of things.
As an operator id rather deal with a bunch of old rusty crappy low slung hoppers dumping in a pit than a bunch of new nice ag hopper equipped trailers dumping in a swing hopper on an auger, if that tells you how much I dislike swing hoppers. lol

If you can swing it, consider a perforated scale with the pit underneath, especially if driver is also the scale operator. nothing like being able to park once, go grab full weight, crank traps, grab empty weight, and done, truck never moves. door hinges, corner of seat, clutch, and drivers knees will benefit in the long run. Wasted energy and effort needs to be designed out of the equation as much as possible, and IMO the time is now, design it wrong and you'll fight it forever.
I think you'll remember the black lung and bad back jerking around a swing hopper longer than you'll remember the cost savings putting off the leg. you'll remember the overflowing pit and the semi sitting with 100 bushel in the bottom of the hopper waiting what seems like forever while everyone is sitting in the field with full bins way longer than you'll remember the cost of the big pit that allows you to dump and go.
Im sure im ignoring the negatives of the leg like any spilled grain down in the pit getting wet and rotting, and being from the high plains you can guarantee ive overlooked any "excessive water" scenarios, so take my opinion with a grain of salt!

Edited by GM Guy 2/22/2024 13:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)