AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a grain bin setup from scratch...please advise
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MN Dave 2
Posted 2/16/2024 20:37 (#10626617 - in reply to #10626554)
Subject: RE: Starting a grain bin setup from scratch...please advise

If I'm reading your information right 3500 acres each of corn and soybeans with the ave yields you stated , about 800k bu of corn a year and 225k of soybeans. You mention cattle but don't say how much corn goes thru them.

If you only plant early corn and only harvest 17% and under corn, you don't need a dryer.

Assuming those acres, it looks like you are running 2 combines. I'm assuming that you will need at least 3 semi's/hoppers to keep the combines running. You defenitly need a NICE dump pit into a leg. I would go with 2-650 bu pits spaced apart for hoppers dumping so that they don't have to move each time into a 10k bushel/hour leg.

If you need to dry corn, that will be a large 40k+ wet corn bin to feed a large dryer, probably a 3k bu/hr with 10pts of moisture removal.

Storage.
I don't know your proposed bin sites. I like to avoid roof converors/augers if possible. They are just something more to wear out, go wrong. They do bring more options to the table as far as bin layout, bin spacing etc. so then can be a necesary evil. I like large bins with self contained bin sweeps. You are probably looking at a minimum of multiple 150k bu bins for both corn and beans. Plus future expansion allowances.

Costs.

The drive over pit and leg will cost upwards of $200k
The dryer/ wet corn tank, leg to bins (if needed) will cost another $400k (guesstimates)
The storage bins will be about $1.75/bu.

Timing
You most likely are not going to be able to get everything done this fall. Permits, financing, design/layout all take time. From what I hear from the electricians, getting large componets like you will need can be a nightmare to get, and it can take 1 year to get stuff.

IF you are going to try the used leg, equipment route, good luck. It's hard enough to get new stuff to work, say nothing about some used stuff that might have a unknown slight bend in things, then watch the finger pointing begin while you sit there with wet crops in the field, $$$$s to pay back and snow coming.

Realistically, you are looking at 2 years out. Good luck.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)