AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a grain bin setup from scratch...please advise
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dschilling92887
Posted 2/16/2024 16:28 (#10626276 - in reply to #10626146)
Subject: RE: Starting a grain bin setup from scratch...please advise

SW Illinois
a lot of this depends on how many bushels and overall storage desires. store everything or just when the elevator closes?

Our set up has a unload leg and drive over drag. the unload leg is relatively short at 80ft and fills a wet holding bin as well as bulk tanks for our feed mill. it is rated at 8k/hr The wet tank then feeds into our dryer, or straight to our dry leg that is very slow, but 110ft tall to hit 3 different 80K bushel bins. Our dry leg is 2,000 bu/hr and using a 10hp motor. an air system would require a 30hp minimal to do that. The bins all feed back into the dry leg to be transferred into our feed mill. if we didn't feed all of our corn, i'm not sure i would unload the binds back through the leg or not. It has its pluses and minuses.

Side draws are nice if you're looking at larger bins. Dryers are very dependent on year and location. some years we only run 40k though ours, other years we run 140 through it. depends how long it takes the corn to dry in the field. We bypass the dryer once we get under 20% moisture. some years we have to harvest pretty wet to get manure pumped.

Bin site takes little management. someone to check bins for fill level during harvest and a weekly check for when fans should turn on or off. grease everything up before the season.

My must haves: unload leg that goes 2x combine speed, or same as combine with a 1200 bu pit. drive over dump. I'm 50/50 on stairs, but do try to utilize common platforms between bins. Power sweeps in the bins. ideally no roof augers or overhead drags.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)