AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a grain bin setup from scratch...please advise
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

AGB
Posted 2/16/2024 16:06 (#10626245 - in reply to #10626146)
Subject: RE: Starting a grain bin setup from scratch...please advise

Mid-Michigan
I can't help you with much, but I'm on my first year with mine. The layout is really up to you. If you have room, about anything works. I know what I had pictured in my mind was not what my bin guy laid out. I went with almost all his design ideas since this is what they do. Then, I started tweeking things. The site you already have done correctly. 3 phase. Class A road (I think). Remote sight not in your yard. Natural gas. These things are big, if not deal breakers. I wanted room for anything that wanted to pull in and dump or load. My overhead structure is 18 1/2ft wide. I have an overhead for loadout and extra wet bin storage. I would put at least one leg, two if you can. I went with two because I bought a tower dryer. I didn't want any water issues. After my excavator got done shooting grade everywhere and told me my needed elevations, I added 1 foot to his recommendation. I tiled all the way around it. A pit was not necessary in my opinion or case. That just seemed like stupid money for what you get. My conveyor is much bigger than what the bin guy suggested. I'm very glad I did. I would definitely put the dryer in now wether you can afford it or not. Everything I have is new except the dryer. I absolutely do not see how they are getting that kind of money for a new one. I have a $30000 dryer and it works great vs. The $200,000+ they wanted for a new one. Cement Everything. When you get your site plans from your electrician, add 5 more of the best, brightest leds you can buy. Add at least 5 more 110 outlets than he suggests. Good luck. Lots to worry about. Stop at every farm you see with bins. Most guys like showing you around and pay special attention when he say "I whish I would have..." I personally am relieved I don't ever have to move an auger to bin again. Also, plan for expansion. Whatever you build won't be big enough in 10 years.

Edited by AGB 2/16/2024 16:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)