AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a grain bin setup from scratch...please advise
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

D6Joe
Posted 2/16/2024 15:29 (#10626201 - in reply to #10626146)
Subject: RE: Starting a grain bin setup from scratch...please advise

east central ND
How many bushels are you looking at?

When I was pencilling out bins 10 years ago, I thought a 10 or 12,000 bushel bins would be nice. Then I thought of how much could the combine put out in a really good day? Well, in good corn for my place, a 6 row head, and enough labor to run a cart, it was going to be only 1 days worth of storage. Hmmm. I ended up putting up a 8 wide ring 42’ bin. Did another 2 years later.

So, when I built those bins, the $$ per bushel started getting much better with bins in the 35,000 bushel and up capacity. And that’s was 42 foot diameter. 48 footers might have been a better deal, but the budget was the budget.

The bigger the bin, normally the cheaper the $$ per bushel . If your ground is good for and can handle taller bins without extra expense for massive foundations, that brings the $$ per bushel down some. But tall, big bins would probably need a leg. Tall big bins can make use of side draws to really unload cheaper (less running and wearing on a drag auger).

A 10’ u-trough unload is nice, way more capacity than a 8” unload.

The first two years I filled the 1 decent size bin i had with a wore out $500 12” auction auger. That thing had more patches than you could count. I’m still using the 13” 91 foot auger I bought when I put the 2nd bin up. New, big, bin loading augers, and truck loading augers have gotten stupid expensive too!

Edit: after I read the update, I sure came to the wrong conclusion about the original poster not having much storage or acreage. My suggestions would be very small time compared to a 7000 ac operation with critters. With that big of an operation, a pit, leg and several 200,000 bushel bins??? And a dryer….that’s serious volume the OP deals with.

Edited by D6Joe 2/16/2024 22:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)