AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is the Economy good or bad??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JDpastor
Posted 2/7/2024 13:43 (#10612889 - in reply to #10611690)
Subject: RE: Is the Economy good or bad??

If you had asked me a few days ago, I would say that the economy around here is pretty good. I watch auction prices and things haven't seemed to come down much and I am not just talking land, but household, tools, and equipment. Vehicle prices however have seemed to soften some.

But what got my attention was a conversation at the checkout at Menards yesterday. I bought some supplies to build my wife a sliding door between the living room and the kitchen and I pulled out a couple of hundred dollar bills to pay for it. I commented that I hated having to spend them or something to that effect and the teller commented that once you break one up, they go fast. I chuckled and then said that I was thankful that I had them to break up because there are plenty of people that don't have much. She commented that sales were down quite a bit there. As I left the store I looked in the parking lot. Typically that parking lot is quite full, but it had way less cars in than I had seen in a long time. It is possible that because of the nice weather that people just didn't go to Menards that day, but it is hard to tell. There are so many factors that it is hard to tell in the early stages what is going on. I know that it is harder to make ends meet with the inflation, but how much it is trickling down to the rest of the economy is yet to be seen.

I think that a lot of us are just being real careful how we spend regardless. People are a bit nervous and are wanting to save more. That isn't all bad, but the money saved instead of spent will eventually affect the retailers who have also seen price increases. There are others who just don't have it to spend even if they wanted to and there will always be some who spend even if they don't have it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)