AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Demco Sprayer Joystick Repair
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/26/2024 13:07 (#10594519 - in reply to #10594425)
Subject: RE: Demco Sprayer Joystick Repair

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Looking at your last picture, it appears that some of the sockets are badly corroded and may not be making good contact. The connector appears to be a 37 pin AMP connector. These are used in many places such as planter monitors.

I would install a new plug and sockets since these parts are available locally. I have access to these plugs, clamps and sockets and experience in working with them. You can do this also but it may take a while. Find a decent well lighted area to work. A magnifying glass might be handy. Taking a picture and expanding it might be helpful also.

I would carefully cut off the old connector 6 inches back. Keep this bad end as you will need it for reference. I would then carefully remove the outer insulation to expose the wires that are sticking out of the connector. Generally these wires will be different colors or have some type of marking system on them.

Strip the inner insulation off of each wire and use a meter set to continuity to determine which socket number is used with each wire. Make a chart on paper indicating where each wire went. The plug has numbers on it but they are small. They go in order from left to right or right to left. Be careful when making your chart. It must be correct.

Place the new cover on the remaining cord. Strip off some of the outer insulation on the remaining cord and then the individual wires. Then crimp the new pins on the wires. A basic crimping tool can be used if you are careful. Try to make them as round as possible. Squeeze the tool to make a good physical bond between the socket and the wire.

Then by consulting your chart, place the wires with the new sockets in the proper locations. I would advise putting a wire partway in what you believe to be the correct location but then compare it to the damaged plug you removed earlier. Once you are certain that it is in the correct location use a pick or whatever to fully seat that socket. Move on to the next wire but check your self as you go. Check against the original plug before seating each wire. You will be able to remove them if necessary. It would be possible to remove them later if you make a mistake but you would need the special extraction tool. It is far better to go slow and get them in the correct locations the first time.

Good luck

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)