AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tiling and or update drying update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Just saying
Posted 1/24/2024 06:57 (#10590625 - in reply to #10589831)
Subject: RE: Tiling and or update drying update

N.W. Ohio
Hi JC. I totally get where you’re at with the need for tile as we’re not far apart physically. And on the dryer issue, if you look hard you can find pretty decent used dryers on line. We found our SQ40 here on Agtalk classified used (about 8-9 years old) a few years back for about half of what you’re talking for a new SQ20. But also have to keep in mind that Brock no longer supports the Quantum controller. Ours worked fine for a couple years, then failed so we put a little over 20k into a new INTUI-DRI controller.
As for the tiling, I think you’re close to my age (early 60’s)? Do you have younger help on the farm? If so, you might consider buying your own tile plow and installing your own. Possibly if you wanna continue with your current dryer when it holds you up on harvesting for a day or two you could go install tile until the bin dryer catches up. If you don’t have the help for this, just scratch the idea. We’ve been installing our own tile for 35 years and was probably the best decision we’ve made. Went from farming a LOT of wet ground to farming all well drained farms. Also helps when looking at purchasing a new farm because even if it needs completely re-ditched, you know you have a lot less expense than the neighbor who has to hire a commercial ditcher. Just a couple of my thoughts this morning. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)