AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Open lots vs sheds for feeder lambs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bordercolliie1
Posted 1/18/2024 14:43 (#10580979 - in reply to #10576024)
Subject: RE: Open lots vs sheds for feeder lambs

Ecsd
We use calf creep feeders to feed our lambs. A cracked corn, soy meal, and 100 lb a ton alfalfa. You must not get any rain on the feeders or they will plug. We use hoop barns. I wouldn’t want anything (better) than a hoop. Sun comes out and everything is dry. It is also perfect for housing ewes after shearing. The ewes come to the hoop barns a week or 2 after lambing and the lambs stay in there hoop after weaning. The ewes bleat for a while. The lambs don’t really care.

Too many years we had muddy lambs. A few years We had to shear because they were so muddy the buyer wouldn’t take them and then wait a few weeks to sell. Now we always shear for performance. I am sure performance is better in these buildings. We do hang a fan in one hoop that is east west and run it on the hot days because of humidity and it making the feeders plug. Other than that the north south hoops vent good.

We have a shed too. I would never feed lambs in it. Even with the 24’ door to the north. It just does not vent very well.

Edited by bordercolliie1 1/18/2024 15:38

(IMG_8815 (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_8815 (full).png (161KB - 18 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)