AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 1/13/2024 10:20 (#10571517 - in reply to #10571407)
Subject: RE: Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use

I agree with all you’re saying.

I’m not really a fan of huge battery installations for the same reason I’m not really a fan of huge solar installations. They don’t empower individuals and they don’t stabilize the grid. Well, they probably stabilize the grid some but not like what is possible on an individual basis.

Also, from what I’ve seen they aren’t all that economical. I think I’ve seen the $450 to $650 per kWh range for Tesla Megapacks which I would have thought to have been a good value due to economics of scale.

On the other hand, I am quite interested in small scale batteries for individuals which do empower individuals and are the ultimate in grid stabilization.

While not as expensive as megapacks, they are still quite expensive. Easy button off the shelf type stuff is around $263/kWh and DIY builds that require some know how and determination are less than $100/kWh.

I use 78 kWh per day during the highest use periods of the year for my non-farm needs. If I went with the off the shelf solution I would imagine I would want 2 days worth of battery backup plus a generator to be extremely safe. That would mean $30K worth of batteries and then another $30K worth of solar stuff plus a generator for occasional crazy situations to eliminate my grid dependence. Could knock that down to less than $45K total plus the generator for the DIY solution.

This is very expensive but it is within reach for probably 15% of the population which is something that could have never been said at any point in modern history until the last few years. The expensive part is not the solar but the batteries. Batteries have had really pretty crazy decreases in cost and increases in performance over the last 20 years. If that trend continues I really believe solar plus batteries will be a viable solution for a large portion of the population in 20 years. Enough to not only power house needs but also to power transportation needs.

Like I think you’re saying, it all comes down to batteries.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)