AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 1/13/2024 09:30 (#10571381 - in reply to #10570968)
Subject: RE: Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use

Chebanse, IL.....

Thanks for the detailed report. It was enjoyable reading. I hope you don't mind the criticisms, questions, and concerns that appear here. 

Just comparing power modes, it just seems to me, and maybe only me, that this power/battery/charging/energy management thing has to consume a lot of time if you want your EV to last, or even drive it daily. I've let my pickup run on E many times, have also filled it to the point of spitting gas out the filler hole. But, I don't have to think about it much or concern myself with long-term shortcomings of my practices. Will a 16 yr old daughter or an 85 yr old grandmother be happy with their EV purchase?

But, it does remind of aviation where power & fuel management was mandatory by the pilot. Not something you could go ho-hum about. Fuel exhaustion is a well-known cause of airplanes (and pilots/passengers) not making to their destination airports. It wasn't for everyone. Or, if you were going to try to make it for everyone, you had to really train for the importance of planning fuel use and replenishing, all while staying within the weight limitations of the plane & contents.. It seems the EV may have the same concerns?

I'll ask as always, re. all the interstate highway travelling you did, how were the states rewarded for highway maintenance/improvements by your, or anyone's EV? Maybe I'm not up to date on how this part works. In IL, we pay about 20-25% of the fuel cost as tax. Surrounding states are more or less, but still on a 2000 mile + trip, you'll buy fuel in some other state.

Re. the non-mandatory "pit stops", most states have large public access Rest Stops along major highways. But, I've never seen any sell fuel or electricity. Actually, if you're trying to make time, these are much better than seeking out a gas station. You can be in and out in 5 minutes if you want. And of course, there's always the choice of using the "get-on ramp" for a quick, engine running, pee-stop. Seems to be more popular with men though, understandably. Though, in Europe, nothing bothered either sex for where to stop for relief. The point is, pit stops aren't always incorporated with fuel stops.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)