AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 1/13/2024 00:30 (#10570968 - in reply to #10570814)
Subject: RE: Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use

Some Teslas have LiFePO4 batteries and they are different than these best use practices I’m about to describe but most are like mine so I’ll just describe that.

Ideally for longest battery life you don’t want to use a lot of the battery. The battery is happiest in the 40 to 60% charged range. But that’s totally impractical. So they recommend to not go less than 20% or more than 80% anymore than you have to. Lots of people say they charge to 100% and take it down to less than 10% regularly and have very little battery degradation after a few years so I don’t know what to think. I guess I have resolved to charge it to the level I need it to be charged to get done what I need done and no more than that. Then just hope it turns out ok. Some things I may not really get a good idea on until I’m into the 5 to 10 years of ownership area.

In regards to fast charging, ideally you stick with level II chargers but it seems more recent guidance suggests that level III charging is not as detrimental to the battery as was previously believed.

So again, I’m just choosing to use level II charging as much as I can but when it makes sense to use level III charging. I’m not going to shy away from it.

Tesla calls 70% degradation a bad battery. I have never read of anyone getting to that area. The common perspective seems to be that you should get around 200,000 miles out of the battery. At the rate we’ll be using it we should be there in 7 to 10 years to get out anecdotal experience out of it. Seems more common for a few cells to go bad (thereby requiring complex repairs or swapping the battery out) rather than that extreme level of degradation.

One thing I will try fairly hard to avoid is leaving it at 100% or near there for extended periods of time. There seems to be universal consensus that being at or near 100% for extended periods is about the hardest thing you can do to them. So if I need 100%, I make sure to arrange it so that it’s charged to 100% shortly before I leave. That way it’s not at 100% for long.

Edited by dpilot83 1/13/2024 02:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)