AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

MiradaAcres
Posted 1/12/2024 16:57 (#10570251 - in reply to #10569576)
Subject: RE: Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use

scmn

dpilot83 - 1/12/2024 10:08 I will say there was another time on the trip where we were traveling from Las Vegas, NM (not to be confused with Las Vegas, NV) to Trinidad, CO. External temp went from maybe 25° F to 4 or 6° F in a short distance and our range decreased significantly and I was afraid we would not make it to Trinidad. I slowed down from 72 mph to 50 mph and our range went back up to where we would make it. Then temp increased again and range went way up so I went back to 72 mph and we still ended up in Trinidad with 13% battery. But it was a clear indicator that very cold external temp makes a big difference on range.

I think there are 2 things working against you with the temp drop from 25F to 4F: 1) colder temp makes battery less efficient and 2) colder air is more dense and tends to be higher humidity which requires more power to push the vehicle thru the air.  The second part is obvious even in our 3.)L duramax where our best fuel economy of 42.5mpg was set on a dry, hot summer evening with no wind (air was thin) and 30mpg is the goal to hit when it is 0F.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)