AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 1/12/2024 13:11 (#10569967 - in reply to #10569576)
Subject: RE: Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use

One thing I found interesting as I calculated all of this was my average charge speed. In a comment on a previous post I took a guess that average charge speed might be 130 kW because when you first start charging you can charge at 250 kW but as the battery fills it can get down to a long ways under 100 kW. I don’t know the exact numbers but you can google Model Y charge curve to get an idea of how the charging speed drops as the state of charge increases.

Anyway, I charged for around 12.5 hours and used ~799 kWh which means my average charge speed was a lot slower than I thought at around 64 kW.

I remember in that other comment in another thread I was speculating on whether you could run 1,200 miles in a day as another poster had claimed was possible and I guess I’m skeptical. A 1,200 mile trip would take 6.5 hours of charging and 415 kWh. If you started full and ended close to empty you could drop the charging time required to maybe 5.5 hours plus maybe an hour for navigating to and from chargers so still 6.5 hours of not driving. This means the driving time would have to average 68 mph to make 1,200 miles in 24 hours. Just sounds really difficult to me to be able to make that happen.

Edited by dpilot83 1/12/2024 13:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)