AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 1/12/2024 12:41 (#10569914 - in reply to #10569887)
Subject: RE: Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use

pauperspassion - 1/12/2024 12:30

So , on the solar ? I’m curious if it is possible to have a fully charged EV , and electricity goes out ( I.e. storm ) can the charge from the vehicle be back-fed to keep house electrified? Thus acting as a storage cell !

Tesla calls that bi-directional charging. So far the only Tesla vehicle that provides that option is the Cybertruck and there are very few Cybertrucks in the world. You also have to have the appropriate setup on your house including a charge connector that can be bi-directional compatible.

Tesla calls their level II electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) “Wall Connectors” or “Mobile Connectors”. They aren’t called chargers because they don’t switch from AC to DC current. The built in charger on the car does that. So the car has the charger built in and this means the EVSE is not a charger but a simply a connector to electrical infrastructure.

Anyway, the only Tesla EVSE that is bi-directional compatible is the Tesla Universal Wall connector which was $595 when I ordered one. The Tesla Universal Wall connector is not only bi-directional compatible but it also has both a NACS connector which is what Tesla’s use and a J1772 connector which is what most other EV’s in the USA use. I wanted EVSE at my location that had a lot of flexibility for future vehicles that might be here so even though my Model Y does not support bi-directional charging and doesn’t have a J1772 connector, that’s why I chose the Universal Wall Connector.

There are other non-Tesla vehicles that support bi-directional charging with the Ford Lightning being the most notable one that I’m personally aware of.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)