AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 1/12/2024 12:17 (#10569853 - in reply to #10569653)
Subject: RE: Tesla update: Charging/range on long trips, cold weather and average energy use

BeerBudgetFarms - 1/12/2024 10:50

ok you said 2300 mile trip my 2010 pick up on a fill will get 340 on a tank we'll for shuts and figures we'll use 300 for a round number it would take 7.6 stops to make the trip and 10 minutes a stop whole whopping 76 minutes to fuel for the trip that took 14 hrs sorry im not spending a half a day fueling my vehicle up and other thing I haven never had to plan where I could get fuel on a trip

2,300 miles is 35 hours of driving at an average speed of 65 mph (which you’re not likely to beat even if a lot of the trip is 82 mph).

Different people are different but for me, 35 hours of driving is not going to be accomplished with only 76 minutes of stops even if the vehicle was a perpetual motion machine and never needed fuel. It seemed that my wife who is 6 years younger than me wanted to stop about the same time I did each time.

I would say I could have comfortably made the trip with 1/2 to 2/3 of the stopped time we actually had. It regularly happened that we were done stretching our legs and using the restroom about 10 to 15 min before the charging was complete but sometimes the charging was complete and we still weren’t ready to get back in too.

I would estimate the truly wasted time due to charging for the 2,300 mile trip to be somewhere around 4 hours. I would also say that could be reduced if I had been smart enough to think about seeking B&B’s and hotels that had “destination chargers” for no added cost. They are pretty frequently found and for some reason I did not think to organize the trip that way. It would have saved another 1.5 hours or so bringing the wasted time down to maybe 2.5 hours.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)