AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf hutches: is there a perfect one out there?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 1/9/2024 14:01 (#10565149 - in reply to #10564861)
Subject: RE: Calf hutches: is there a perfect one out there?

SC Wisconsin
Thank you. Yes grain goes in the grey buckets water goes in the black. If we get any north wind it will blow in there, but probably 75%of the time it keeps the grain dry or mostly dry. They also act as a bit of a shade in the summer, it helps keep he sun from heating up the water so much. I like the black buckets for winter water for sure, I wait until the sun is up or almost up to water in the mornings and as long as we get a little sun and it's over 20* the buckets won't freeze solid.
Those direct attach buckets aren't the same old bucket they used to have that cracl when you look at them cross-eyed. You can beat on them or throw them and they are almost indestructible. They are rounded on the bottom so when they start to freeze up they will sort of push the ice out of themselves, really easy to dump them out most of the time.
Mine face south year round, I know people who flip them to the north during the summer but ive just never found a reason to.

I use the panels with rods and eye Hooks to attach to pens. I've only ever had 1 calf that got it's foot caught and needed medical attention, last summer one needed a round of penicillin for a knee he got caught in one. If you can get them out by 10 weeks old or so they aren't big enough to get themselves into trouble on that yet.

Edited by jcolli140 1/9/2024 14:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)