AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf hutches: is there a perfect one out there?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 1/9/2024 10:47 (#10564861 - in reply to #10564352)
Subject: RE: Calf hutches: is there a perfect one out there?

northeastern Ohio
jcolli140 - 1/8/2024 22:56

Watch videos of large calf ranches, and try to mimic what they do. They've spent a lot of money and time figuring out what works best and is most efficient. Personally I'm a big fan of calftel, started with 6 hutches I bought from a retired neighbor. They were the real old ones from probably the 80s, no vents. Now they all have rear bedding doors. The last set I bought this summer I ordered them with no bucket holders inside amd no side doors. Self hanging buckets on the front.

jcolli40,

Nice setup! I see you have the bucket covers. Are you doing grain in one and water in the other? Does the wind/rain get under them much?

How are your fence panels attached to the huts? I've got some that are attached with a rod through 2 eye bolts, but others just attached with twine. Occasionally a calf will get her foot stuck between the panel and the hut (I don't know how they do it!!!).

You (or anyone else) ever try putting the huts head to head so that you can feed two rows at a time (like in pic below)? I've always faced our openings to the east, but we had a 20mph east wind this morning with rain, so it was a mess (prevailing wind is normally out of the west).

(20240108_153308 (Large) (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20240108_153308 (Large) (full).jpg (282KB - 196 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)