AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cat C12 fuel system diagnosis part 2
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4WD
Posted 12/27/2023 14:31 (#10544007 - in reply to #10543957)
Subject: RE: Cat C12 fuel system diagnosis part 2

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

MTVR - 12/27/2023 13:59 I wanted to make sure I'm measuring fuel pressure and not air pressure inside the fuel system, so I loosened the bleed bolt on the top of the secondary fuel filter housing (the boss that says "BLEED" on the side) a couple of turns like it says to do in the Cat manual I found online, cranked it over for a few seconds, and I'm immediately getting fuel coming out, so there is fuel in the system, and it's as bled as I can bleed it without it running. I tightened the bleeder bolt back down afterwards. I disconnected the fuel return line at the tank, pointed it at a drain pan, and pumped the hand primer pump on the side of the secondary fuel filter base. After about a half-dozen pumps, I hear a metallic click inside the secondary fuel filter housing, and fuel runs out the return hose. I'm assuming the click is the fuel return check valve still/again. And the fuel pressure test gauge never moves off zero when I'm using the hand primer pump. I got fuel running out the return hose when cranking. The needle slowly rises to 60 psi and then bounces back and forth between 30 psi and 60 psi, with fuel running out the return hose. I am stumped...

If you didn't "replumb" your fuel pressure gauge to the location, I mentioned earlier, than you are measuring Fuel Pressure BEFORE the the hand priming pump (Thus it is on the "suction side"  of the hand priming pump, engine OFF and not cranking)

If you plumb it AFTER the secondary fuel filter, then you will see fuel pressure as you hand pump that priming pump (you will be on the "pressure side" of the hand priming pump) Again, engine OFF, and not cranking.

Did you see any exhaust smoke, while cranking?

I think you should remove the Air-to-Air hose, right above engine (at intake manifold), and give it a small, quick shot of ether, while cranking = that extra cranking RPMs, when the ether "fires" , might be just enough to purge out any air that might be a culprit, inside the individual injectors' passages, themselves. Note: usually, I never needed ether, if I had 2 people while cranking and one person was operating the fuel hand priming pump, at same time.

Edited by 4WD 12/27/2023 14:33

(129-2878base_inpaintprogram(full) (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 129-2878base_inpaintprogram(full) (full).jpg (31KB - 18 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)