AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grease zerks and axle slop on tractors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 12/27/2023 12:22 (#10543841 - in reply to #10543610)
Subject: RE: Well that’s something I’ve never checked

Faunsdale, AL
I’m confident most of our fleet of old 20, 30, 40 and 50 series Deeres have never had them checked. Had one axle bearing go out on a 5020 once and had an axle snap off of a 6030 once but that had nothing to do with bearings since it snapped off outside of a good outer bearing.

I guess it’s just the best hope you’ll catch a bearing failure before it gets serious. Pretty low yield diagnostic but doesn’t take a lot of time or effort to do it. Question is are you willing to take off the final if you find one that’s a little high. If you take off the final, are you willing to follow the procedure that is required to adjust it properly? It’s not like adjusting wheel bearings on a grain cart or wagon. You have to measure for and use shims between the end of the axle and the planetary carrier so the retaining bolt can be torqued to spec. If you adjust bearing preload using that bolt and the lock plate on its head, you’re setting it up for failure later. Might work on a small tractor but not a good bet on anything that ever pulls hard.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)