AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Recommend a new chain saw
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mitchco
Posted 12/24/2023 16:53 (#10539648 - in reply to #10539590)
Subject: RE: Recommend a new chain saw

SW OH
They were some years ago. The new 1 was a brush cutter, FS80 I think. 2 new carburetors before the second tank of gas. Then ignition problems. Dealer didn't have any answers more than "everyone makes a dud now and then". Dad told the dealer to keep it 2 months after buying it.

The other was a chainsaw left behind by a rightaway crew. 2XX I think, farm boss. I couldn't get it to run right, figured it was left behind for a reason. Took it to the same dealer and told gave him a $100 limit. $98 later I took it home. Wore myself out trying to get it started. It didn't have much power when it did run. Bought the Makita and took the Stihl to a consignment auction. I think it brought $20.

As I said the quickie saws at work are money pits, but they work in a different world. They have compression issues, some get bored and have oversized pistons, some get scrapped. They are abused.

Before I worked where I do I worked for a guy hauling logs. While laid off from my current job one winter I worked for the logger on the side. I was bucking logs next to a guy using a Stihl saw that was large. I don't remember the model number. It was rated for a 60"? bar. Before I made my first cut he snickered and asked where the battery goes. I was cutting the same size logs in a few seconds more than he was. He stopped several times and sharpened his chain. I kept cutting and when the day was done i had cut as much as he did.

Mitchco
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)