AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shopping for a Grain Truck
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jd4930
Posted 12/16/2023 11:00 (#10527017 - in reply to #10527000)
Subject: RE: Shopping for a Grain Truck

Central ND
jdironman - 12/16/2023 10:48

I started thinking about it and I guess I come back to semi. You don’t need hydraulics, you can get another tractor when one breaks down, most elevators prefer them because of dumping issues, you don’t need tri axles and all their problems to haul a decent legal load and there have been all kinds of augers etc that are designed to unload at a bin site. In the end will be less dollars than buying a box, converting and stretching a semi tractor and adding hydraulics and all that mounting a box requires. I am sorry, I know not what you asked but semis are just so darn simple. A nicely put together truck will bring as much or more than a semi and trailer. If room is a problem, smaller semis will go almost anywhere a tractor and wagon goes.

Don't forget straight trucks are easier to maneuver, back up, some drivers are more comfortable with them, etc. I can't think of any reason a straight truck can't be dumped anywhere we dump. While I agree semis are more efficient and our straight trucks haven't left the yard, heck, even the shed, in several years I also realize they are just a much better fit for some operations
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)