AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

End of year, how did the year go for you?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

SamT
Posted 12/16/2023 10:58 (#10527016 - in reply to #10526863)
Subject: RE: End of year, how did the year go for you?

I had a good wheat crop in spite of drought, got some descent grazing on top. Lucked into a hay deal this summer that I was able to keep my cows fed without buying hay and even had enough hay to sell to pay off my hay equipment. Freezer beef sales are good, wish I had kept more to sell. Heifers have all had live calves so far unassisted. Picked up a new cash crop farm and some grass for grazing. Didn’t loose money on cotton. Managed to get my wheat planted, fertilized and even put out top dess N with cash on hand.

Some quick accounting looks like I’m going to end the year about zero as far as IRs is concerned. I didn’t put anything in my pocket besides a beef and 2 pigs in the freezer, but I’m in a way better position for next year. And I still have my 23 model calves to sell after the new year to cover land payments and expenses until wheat harvest. If a land lord will sign a lease on 150 acres of grass I will keep all the heifers, otherwise I’m going to probably cull hard and keep just a couple of the best.

Inching foreward, weather is the best winter we have had in my memorable life. If wheat would go up to $7 cash i might look at a newer combine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)