AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How My planting corn into green cereal rye disaster turned out.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sj3788
Posted 12/15/2023 19:49 (#10526248)
Subject: How My planting corn into green cereal rye disaster turned out.

swohio
Boy I wish I had taken pictures. Planted a 113 day corn on 5/21. Was getting dry fast then had a 1/2" rain on 5/20. Should have killed it in April but was busy on a new to me farm that had waterways put in but had rock pushed out into the field ( Huge mess ). Had 2.5" of rain on May 6th so decided that now we was going to turn wet, wrong. So planted then rolled down the rye and then killed it. No rain for 3 weeks. Great stand but could not look worse. Had AMS and Potash spread maybe 3 weeks before planting, 10 gal of 28 applied with planter. Corn planted into a worked up washout area looked great all 3 weeks. Side dressed into bone dry dirt, I dribbled it on since knew guys that couldn't get injector to go into ground. This was the worse looking corn at this stage of my life I swear. June 11 we got .9" and then ended up with 2.2" total. July total 9.17", August 4.8", all this was spaced out well. Corn made right at 190, would be the best for this farm. Have no idea what it could have made without the rye, Rain and plenty of it at the right time saved it. I know to never give up on a crop this early but in June I told my wife I had screwed up big time by not killing this early. This was right on a busy road and I had to drive by it a lot, but it sure turned out way beyond I could have ever thought possible. I have planted corn green into cereal rye for many years and always have had great luck. Rain makes grain, end of story.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)