AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Processed Beef/Butcher Feedback & Thoughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ntorreyyy
Posted 11/23/2023 05:59 (#10493056)
Subject: Processed Beef/Butcher Feedback & Thoughts

Just finished out my first two beef to sell retail/by the individual cut freezer beef. They were two Red Angus Steers, hanging weights were 960 and 880 lbs. They were big and pretty well finished in my opinion, they had been on corn and pellet for over 180 days to finish.

But, I picked them up today was disappointed with what I got back. I will attach pictures. The marbling is nice, but the ribeyes seem awfully small for steers that size, mostly the size of my hand or smaller and they seem excessively trimmed, and trimmed to a shape I am not used to seeing from a ribeye.

The NY Steaks also seem pretty small. So I would like to get some thoughts? Am I being hard on myself/were my expectations to high and these are decent steaks? Did I just not communicate my preferences to the butcher? Or did myself/the butcher go wrong somewhere else, Feed wise for instance.

For Reference, all steaks were supposed to be cut to 1.25”

I am young, but I grew up eating ribeye and this isn’t what I’m used to. Seems like steaks are consistently bigger than this in grocery stores, and this was supposed to be home raised quality and better. I want to understand what happened here so I can learn and improve but also be able to explain to my customers if they were to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ntorreyyy 11/23/2023 06:03

(IMG_0257 (full).jpeg)

(IMG_0258 (full).jpeg)

(IMG_0259 (full).jpeg)

(IMG_0260 (full).jpeg)

(IMG_0261 (full).jpeg)

(IMG_0262 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0257 (full).jpeg (255KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0258 (full).jpeg (252KB - 161 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0259 (full).jpeg (251KB - 157 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0260 (full).jpeg (243KB - 201 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0261 (full).jpeg (266KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0262 (full).jpeg (240KB - 160 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)