AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat harvest run next summer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

The Pretender
Posted 11/18/2023 07:21 (#10486620 - in reply to #10486074)
Subject: Broaden your mind

The Internet

45Deere9670 - 11/18/2023 00:43 You live in England, which is about the size of Alabama. Oregon is about the size of the entire United Kingdom. The contiguous 48 states together, are HUGE compared to England or the UK. Add in crossing the border into Canada and you've got more area to explore. It can be a plenty big enough adventure without going overseas. Illinois is bigger than England, smaller than the UK. There are places I haven't seen in IL, let alone the rest of the contiguous 48 states. You could spend a lifetime exploring the US.

I worked in the US for 2 and a half years, did 2 season with a very well respected custom harvester, worked as a groundsman for a major league baseball team, been coast to coast, boarder to boarder. It was a great adventure.

If you do something similar to what I did, you'll be listening to the same sindicated radio stations, watching the same TV channels, listening to the same music, driving the same pickups, trucks and machinery, harvesting the same crops, talking the same language, using the same money. I could go on.

If you go abroad, most things will be different. Different climate, customs, money, machines, crops. 

Obviously, if you just want big, you'll have to stay in the USA, but it won't be different. Go to New Zealand and live as a Kiwi for a while, or Austraila or come to Europe. You could go, for example to Denmark or Holland and see how they operate on a small but in incredicably intense scale. If you came here, I could but you on farms that while they wouldn't be anything like as big as you would get at home, are very intense with a massive work load that make going on harvest look like summer camp. 

Go and experience life in another country. There's a lot of little Englanders here that can see beyond the end of their noses and it's the same only on a massive scale in the USA. A lot on here cannot comprehend any other way of life or operating. If you came here, for example and had to deal with what we do you'd see why I post the things I do and question what I question.

It may not be big here, but come and witness the shear level of traffic and the trauma of moving a combine at 5pm. Immerse yourself in another countries culture, go to a football match, go to the local pub, cherish a decent local chip shop, take a trip into London, you come and see how we can and do take short city breaks onto continental Europe.

You've got your whole life to harvest corn and soybeans in the USA using John Deere equipment, so get your passport and work abroad for a while, it will go you a world of good. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)