AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why Rake
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 11/7/2023 05:42 (#10471838 - in reply to #10471639)
Subject: RE: Why Rake

SE Manitoba
saskman - 11/6/2023 21:21

Corn is not grown in our area. Everything we bale behind a combine is put into rows. Sorry I am so stupid. Honestly I have NEVER seen a rake used behind a combine and I am 64 years old.

TL;DR
A combine is really a mobile separating machine.
For small grains one cuts off the plants and feeds a goodly portion of the plant, with the heads (the important part) into and through the combine.
This means that what come out of the back of the combine is almost all of what went into it minus a little bit of trash (carry over from the cleaning system) and the grain(s) (and likely some weed seeds too).
This is the process for every grain that I know of except for corn.
Corn is a different beast!!!
When one combines corn the plant is NOT cut off rather the cob with its attendant husks is pulled off the plant and that is what is fed into the combine.
Means that very little of that 5 to 12' tall plant greets the inside of a combine.
So all that comes out of the back of a combine in corn is cobs, the husks (and hopefully nothing else).
That's why combine tires don't last worth a crap in corn.
That's why all kinds of different tools are used to help preserve the tires.
Now if you want the stalks and leaves - - - well that's what makes like quite interesting - - - there have been lots of threads again even this fall about how to do that.
The last thing one would want to do is to cut off the whole corn and run it through the combine - - - man - - you'd have some real pathetic capacity.
Saskman - - - dunno if you remember the PAMI reports - - - I remember the one on a JD 8820 - - - wow it was some between 400 and 450 bu/hr in wheat.
It would do some upper 500 bu/hr in barley, IIRC canola was some mid upper 300 bu/hr.
PAMI never tested for corn (likely still don't grow any corn for combining in the Melfort area) but I was told that it would put out close to 2000 bu/hr.
What's fascinating to me is that it would be covering about the same number of acres/hr in most any of the crops with the yields of the time.
HTH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)