AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new grass seeding on house lawn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bruce NW Ia
Posted 10/1/2023 12:02 (#10423394)
Subject: new grass seeding on house lawn

Cherokee County, Northwest Iowa
After 3 summers of drought and not watering the front lawn (because bluegrass will always go dormant and come back next year), aided by the city plowing snow, and the road salt therein, up and over the curb and onto the lawn (what else could they do?, not blaming them for the causing the problem, just adding to it), plus having removed a dying ash tree and grinding the stump and having the resulting bare spot, it was time to re-seed the front lawn. I sprayed Roundup on everything i wanted reseeded mid-summer.

September 1stI had guy come till up the lawn with a 3 point rototiller on large garden tractor (he did a heck of a good job, better than i would have if i would have been running it), and then drilled in a sunny mix of grass seed with his 3 point drill on a small utility tractor (had a PTO driven set of knives that cut slits into ground when he would be "overseeding" existing lawns. He did run thru a couple of light spots on existing lawn. What a pleasure it was to not see any grass seed laying on top of the ground when he got done, did a really nice job.

Set up 3 oscillating sprinklers and 2 sprinkler hoses, and spent the next 3 weeks watering grass. Did get an inch of rain 10 days ago and cooler and cloudy weather which eliminated one week's worth of watering. Am back to watering it now due to 4 days of hot, windy 90 degree days. Am cutting back on watering, research said to do that to promote root growth. Used city water, luckily we have 2 meters in house, one for house (which includes sewer charges and couple of other add on taxes), other meter is for the two outside faucets only, thank heavens. Don't get the bill for September's water till Oct. 20th, will worry about that then. Did start to water some of the neighboring existing lawn, amazing how that and the one inch of rain brought it back so well-trying to get everything in my favor going into winter.

Down to just 2 oscillating sprinklers and 3 garden hoses to wet down everything else. Made bridge out of 2 by 4's to keep hose off the new grass, allows me to walk up and down the street watering next to curb-always dries out first and requires extra effort watering.

(20230723_162959 (full).jpg)

(20231001_113029 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20230723_162959 (full).jpg (261KB - 63 downloads)
Attachments 20231001_113029 (full).jpg (248KB - 59 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)