AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kidney bean field got sprayed with wrong pre harvest chemical now what?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 9/26/2023 18:46 (#10417394 - in reply to #10417316)
Subject: RE: Kidney bean field got sprayed with wrong pre harvest chemical now what?

Sanilac Co. Michigan
Maybe, if you talk nice to them, they'll let you roll the contract into next year and you can hunt up another buyer who'll be a bit less picky on this year's crop. Might have to travel some distance and cross borders to make it go away.

That's quite a fix you're in. Maybe, somehow, hold them and sort of blend them off in the coming years? I know the coop I sell to sent out letters to growers the last few years discouraging, then outright saying they'd reject glyphosate treated edibles, so finding one that'll accept them might be a tall order.

Really hope it works out for you as I don't believe it really has a lot, if any, effect on the final product. Same goes for wheat. They don't want any wheat that used a "harvest helper" to get the crop off, even though it's labeled for such use.

And that's another thing: just how much testing actually gets carried out to determine contamination? I really don't know, but I suspect not every gravity box gets close scrutiny, just odd spot checks and reliance on the sellers integrity. I'd imagine things get real hairy when a outbound freighter load gets tested, comes back over the "tolerance " and it's in peril of rejection at the receiving end. I wouldn't want to be the guy on the hook for that!

I suppose, maybe, you could take some samples, get an analysis to see just how much, if any, glyphosate shows up and present that to your buyer and let them decide. That would seem to be the most responsible approach to the problem. Realistically, given you've followed the label, there ought not be any in the crop.

Let us know how this turns out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)