AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

You drought talk guys are blind
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

marbro1
Posted 7/15/2023 22:16 (#10317796)
Subject: You drought talk guys are blind

Southwest Iowa
In my little spot in SW Iowa, we’ve received some good rainfall in the past 10-14 days. End of June, I admit I was one of those guys hoping/saying “if we don’t get a rain soon, things aren’t gonna be good.” Since then, we’ve got 2-4 inches on our ground and I’m willing to bet right now, we’ll make APH plus 10% across the board, if we get our normal precipitation from here on out.

But one thing I noticed today while crossing one of the dominant rivers for our area, is how low the water flow is. This is a river that if you float it during normal rainfall, there are areas that you would still bottom out. Today, the “deep” spots might only be 2-3 foot deep. There is more sand showing in the river bed than actual water flowing down it. And it’s not just this particular river where I’ve noticed it. We’ve got a creek or stream that runs through our property that’s never been known as deep or wide except in times of extreme rainfall. But there are areas that look like they are hardly moving since there’s very little water upstream to get things rolling.

Now, I realize the Nebraska and Kansas guys will get on here and comment “we’ve got streams every year that stop flowing, so stop whining.” Well, our streams usually don’t dry up. The North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin guys are gonna say that “our streams are so full of trout, the only time we’re outta water is after the weekends and the fish are suffering from their hangovers.” The Missouri guys don’t count because they’ve got a beautiful lake in the middle of their state that they can drink their sorrows away in. The rest of the “I” state guys know exactly what I’m referring to since we’ve had to bound together the past few years from April to October to defend our positions that we know more about our immediate areas than any other “experts”. Sorry for leaving you other states out. It’s not that I don’t enjoy you ridiculing us “I” state guys for telling you how our crops look. But if you’re trying to grow corn in the Rocky Mountains or in the swamps of Louisiana,i don’t care what you think of my operation in Iowa. You’re crazy and won’t change my mind.

So, even though we’ve been getting moisture here 25 miles east of Omaha, we are still very much in a drought. Until the streams and rivers and tile lines tale me different, I don’t care what any other expert on here says. Our crops for 2023 might turn out phenomenal. But a WHOLE lot will need to change in the winter of 23-24 for things to look rosey for next year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)